Thursday, May 24, 2007

A Rare Personal Story!

I liked this bit from Majikthise, so I've decided to open the window, if only a little bit.

Look grateful.

First, the quote:

DJA is a classic cocktail fanatic. He collects vintage barware. He can skin a lemon with an icepick. He wants to ban vodka.
Man after my own heart.

Anyway, story. A few weeks ago, I was out with a friend at a bar he favors. We're both drinking beer, and he decides to switch over to cocktails. Great, nothing like 'em. But when he looks at the martini menu, I get peeved, because I realize that real martinis aren't even listed. Vodka, Vodka, vodka. I ask the waitress about this, and she says "oh, well, we get no call for them. I've been here for close to a year, and I've served maybe, um, five?"

So, yeah, I get off on a bit of a rant.

People, that is unacceptable. Those chocolate appletinis or whatever the hell you're drinking? That isn't a martini! Why? Because something called a "martini" should at least include Gin and/or Vermouth! Just because it's served in a martini glass does not make the damned thing a martini.

Do you pour red wine into a flute and call it champagne? No? Same thing!

(Maybe if it was anything else but Vodka. Vodka is just pure alcohol. It's got about as much character as a Tomb Raider movie. It's a way of making water and cheap flavoring alcoholic.)

Anyway, my regards to DJA, and everybody who gets a weird look when they order a martini, full stop, and gets a puzzled look in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment