Monday, January 24, 2011

The "Palestine Papers"

Haven't had much of a chance to look at the so-called "Palestine Papers" yet. When I first saw the news, though, my first thought was "huh. I though WikiLeaks was gearing up towards releasing bank info, not this." Imagine my surprise when I discovered that this had nothing to do with WikiLeaks. It's all Al Jazeera and the Guardian.

I'd read a number of comments that suggested that shutting down WikiLeaks wouldn't work. Now I know it's true. WikiLeaks has changed the game. It's changed how we even THINK of this sort of material. Big leaks are, apparently, becoming the standard, and even if WikiLeaks were to get finally shut down tomorrow, somehow, we can rest assured that others would pick up the slack.

And damned if that isn't the best news that I've gotten in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment